Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - I've done it again

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11th May 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I've done it again

I bought another Renault

I couldn't resist a cute little MKII 1999 1.2 petrol Clio RN so I snapped it up for my sister.

Turns out she's already bought a new car so now I'm lumbered with it

Anyway, it needs a bit of attention most importantly the driveshafts / CV joints. They are knocking quite badly and so I'm going to renew them. Done this job only once before on an old VW and it was fairly straight forward, the trickiest bit being access to the inner joint bolts holding it to the gearbox.

Can anybody give me any clues, advice, recommendations for changing the driveshafts on the Clio please ? I would prefer to change the complete shaft rather than knocking it about taking the joints off. Any good, cheap parts suppliers recommended here ?

I've bought new ball joints and track rod ends already so that I can replace those while the hub is off. I also bought new ARB bushes. I just don't have a Haynes manual yet so I'm hoping for some help here.

Are the MK1 and MKIII driveshafts compatible with the MKII's ? Do I need any "special" tools except for a ball joint splitter and hub puller ? Anything else I would be wise to change before spending 50 on the tracking ?

Cheers guys
Currently in Roccoaster's garage:
Chevrolet Astro, Pontiac Firebird, Chrysler Sebring
  5 Lastest Threads by Roccoaster
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
I've done it again Cars & motoring Roccoaster 3 696 11th May 2009 09:14 AM
Renault 21 ECU ? Electronics Roccoaster 5 1274 24th February 2009 05:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome