Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - DIagnosing Ballast or HID?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th May 2009 Thread Starter
Beer Jammer
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
DIagnosing Ballast or HID?

Hi All.

My Lag today showed its typically french sense of timing. I have my MOT booked for Monday, (6 days away), and it decides that my N/s xenon lamp will stop working. hmmmpphh..

Anyhays, I check this invaluable forum, and there is probably a 50/50 that its either the bulb or the ballast. Water ingress is usually the cause of ballast failures and even though I have a 2003 initiale, the weather of late has been quite dry here in the sticks, so water ingress would be quite a feat. This along with no visible signs of water in the front of the headlight, and no damp to the touch on the inside when I checked the connections led me to the conclusion to try a new bulb. I have ordered a pair of 4300k for 27.99 inc delivery, and until the weekend I cant remove the bumper to swap ballasts. (I can actually change my bulbs with bumper in place).

On to my topic question, is there any tell tale signs to diagnose a faulty lamp or faulty ballast without replacing either? I have read about flickering, flashing on and off, faint signs of life when you turn the light on for a sec or two then nothing, but there are conflicting views on which failed part these point to. Anyone got any ideas, or are the symptoms of both identical?

Incidently, there were no signs of impending doom from my light, no flickering and no sign of life when first switching it on, just like a blown halogen.

I have also noted that my 'lights on' reminder has stopped working if I leave the lights on and open the door, would this indicate a blown ballast or bulb?.... or even the fuse?
Currently in Beer Jammer's garage:
1.9dci initiale sports tourer
  5 Lastest Threads by Beer Jammer
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Signs of a failing battery Electronics Beer Jammer 5 1655 5th January 2010 09:22 AM
DIagnosing Ballast or HID? Electronics 22 4229 12th May 2009 07:38 PM
Bonnet catch failure, common fault? Cars & motoring redsmac 27 5162 23rd September 2008 09:34 PM
Is it the French being thick, or my car? :o Electronics Horatio 1 881 28th September 2007 02:29 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome