Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Help - Key snapped in ignition

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th May 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Help - Key snapped in ignition

Hello there, hoping someone on here can help me.

A few days I noticed I that when putting my key in my Renault Clio (03 plate Dynamique clio 1.2) ignition, it wasn't as 'smooth' as process as normal. I happened to glance at my key, and noticed that the last five or so millimetres had snapped off.

The area that is missing is from the beginning of the rectangular hole at the end of the key. Strangely, however, the remnant of the key fits it in ignition and the car still starts whenever i want it to.

I tried my space key, wondering if the last bit of the key was still inside. The second key doesn't go in properly, so I can only assume the missing bit of the first one is inside. I have called a locksmith to see if he can remove the key, but from my description (cant see it from the outside at all) he has told me I would need to remove parts and take it to him in his shop to remove it.

Has anyone had this happen before on here? How much is this likely to cost me and will I need a new ignition? Any help is appreciated.

5 Lastest Threads by Chris_Royle
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Help - Key snapped in ignition Cars & motoring 2 912 13th May 2009 12:28 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome