Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - DIagnosing Ballast or HID?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 13th May 2009 Thread Starter
Beer Jammer
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Celtic.

I am not a halogen/xenon expert by any means, but I do have an electrical/electronic background.

After examining the wiring loom on the xenons, it appears that the two wires (red and black) that feed the Ballast (the ballast increases the voltages to fire up the xenons), is just a 12V feed. If this is the case, then in thoery, if these were connected to a halogen bulb, then yes, you could fit them.

However, you'll need to check the fuses/cable rating of this feed and then find a way to physically get the halogen to fit the xenon headlight unit. I also dont know if there is a difference in the reflectors for a xenon and halogen headlamp.

Interesting thought though, halogens are a lot easier to source and fix, so a retro fit could prove more reliable. In my honest opinion though, replacing the renault parts with waterproof/dustproof/vibration proof onces makes them about a thousand times more reliable.
Currently in Beer Jammer's garage:
1.9dci initiale sports tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome