Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #48 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Bruce_ View Post
Our Scenic, with the 1.6 8V engine, has had 2 HG failures. The first was at about 3 years old, just out of warranty. Renault paid for most of the cost, and as it included a cambelt change it saved having to do that job at a later date.

Cost about £600, from memory, when it went the 2nd time (Renault dealer did the repair).

There must be something wrong with the design of this engine if it's quite common. Has anyone worked out what the problem is? I'm assuming that if it's happened twice, it will happen a third time.

Is there any way to prevent it happening again? Is there anyway to know if it's about to happen again?

In both cases the heater stopped working, and that was the first sign of problem, followed by eating the coolant (out the exhaust).
Hi there,

I'm bumping this thread to give my experience with an R reg 1.6 8v Scénic.

I bought the car just under 6 months old, and couldn't find out why it had been sold on so young. After more than nine years use, the head gasket failed. This was after a big trip to eastern Germany, Liepzig, by way of the Baltic and Bavaria (100 mph on the Autobahn probably didn't do it too much good!).

When my local garage repaired it, they commented that when the _previous repair_ had been done, a part had been missed out (a small tube connecting two holes in the block and the head). What previous repair? Well now I knew why it had been sold on so young.

Unfortunately, only 16 months later, the head gasket has gone again. There must be some underlying problem, as this time it had been treated carefully and not abused.

Well, this failure coincided with the chancellor's announcement of the scrappage scheme, so I'm about to acquire a brand new Scénic II cDi106

How could I turn down an offer of £2k on a car needing a £600 repair that might not last? It *is* a shame that this car is going to the scrap yard, as everything else about it is near pristine, and to echo the sentiments earlier in this thread, it still looks very very good in comparison to all the more modern cars around it on a car park.

Am I doing the wrong thing? I don't know, but I'm too old and tired these days to struggle with recalcitrant cars. I've re-built engines and gearboxes in the past (Moggie thou days) and ran a series of seven £200 Austin Maxi old bangers, but I don't want to make the effort any more.

Other faults I've had: The only serious one has been the broken rear shockers, each two years apart. I replaced a rear door strut, and had the roof aerial leakage problem, but I've always kept the drain holes clean so haven't had too much water problems. The coils needed replacing, but soldiered on for several months until I found it convenient. The air con no longer works, but I haven't bothered to re-gas it. Apart from that, nothing.

I will be sorry to see the old girl go.
Currently in momist's garage:
2009 Renault Mégane Scénic II Team 1.5 dCi106
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome