Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #50 of (permalink) Old 17th May 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Bob925 View Post
Not that I would want to to be honest - a new car pretty much means the end of DIY "on the street" servicing and repairs, frankly I dread the idea of a car much newer than a decade old as a result!
Agreed Bob,

That was much how I felt when we bought the 6 month old car 10 years ago - no more working in the rain and cold, and no more lying down on cold concrete. Strangely, this didn't last, and I ended up doing a lot of the ongoing maintenance myself including all the servicing over the last five years. Something I left off the list of problems was a constant replacing of front disks for rusty brakes. The car is my wife's transport (I use the Micra for work) and frequently does very low mileage in between holidays and caravanning. How this will work out with the diesel, I wait to see. However, the cDi106 doesn't use a particulate filter.

We've spent all the money I was saving for when I retire (in five years maybe), but then, it wasn't earning anything where it was anyway. I suspect, from a pessimistic viewpoint, that the value of money is not a secure thing now anyway, and the things I own now may have to last for a long time, so new is to the good.

Sorry if my parade makes anyone envious. I just happened to be in the right situation at the right time - not planned at all!
Currently in momist's garage:
2009 Renault Mégane Scénic II Team 1.5 dCi106
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome