Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #52 of (permalink) Old 18th May 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
All that glisters - I couldn't agree more. I could have spent _another_ £1000 resurrecting the old one (that's what we've spent on it in the last 16 months!). However, given the choice of repairing the old Scenic or buying a new one, with the current history, we _wanted_ a new car. My wife has arthritis, and no other car we can find "fits". Every other make/model puts the steering wheel in her chest, the screen scraping her forehead and the handbrake behind her where she can't even reach it. (She's not very tall).

We've done the research. I didn't "jump" at the scrappage without looking first. We could have got a 1.6vvt for about £1200 less, which is not far from the real difference in price from the 1.5 dCi 106, from such as Motorpoint. We chose the diesel. There are no other diesels available just now that I can find, unless you count used (and precious few of those less than 18 months old). If i bought used, I'd still have an un-sellable broken one to dispose of. I have read that the scrap market is very poor at the moment, with only about £50 in each car for the breakers themselves.

I didn't mean to encourage anyone to go the same route - it just seems the best option for me just now.
Currently in momist's garage:
2009 Renault Mégane Scénic II Team 1.5 dCi106
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome