Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Name the part!

Thread: Name the part!
View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 20th May 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Shambles - it appears to terminate at the main engine ECU . (in a housing beside the battery)
I can't be 100% on that though as I didn't want to take the whole assembly out again as it was a PITA the first time.

I wonder, does such an individual looking capacitor carry the possibility of draining the memory of the circuits it serves if it's faulty?

Like I said, my understanding of electronics is very limited, though through this thread and some research I am gradually building up a degree of knowledge. I have improved my soldering skills and theory and figured out a few other things that are helpful.

Some things are still a mystery to me inside my display unit but I'm determined I will fix it myself, man made it so I can Ruddy well learn to fix it.

Basically, the display unit works fine, but only once the car has been run for a while, there doesn't appear to be a large enough voltage drop from the battery when the car is started so poor battery output is unlikely to be the cause of my problem.

When the display does come on, the trip computer memory has been zeroed but the display functions fine after that, it works better in warm sunny weather than it does on colder days.

This is the whole reason I'm looking into all these things as I want to fix it and learn a few things along the way.

Another big question that needs answered is this:

Eeproms; I understand they are known as IC's (integrated circuits). I read that if the main number on the chip is the same it will operate the same way, regardless of the other letters (manufacturer reference codes etc)

Does this mean a simple like for like replacement or does it need programming?

I suspect an eeprom on the board may possibly be goosed but I have no idea how to test it or whether it needs programmed for it's particular functions in this setup.

If no programming then I'd maybe try and replace it, any ideas on this one or the bold question above?

I have already replaced 2 capacitors and a power diode on the displays' board and re-soldered some possible disturbed joints to no avail.
Currently in Spanner_Brain's garage:
2001 Grand Espace 2.0 16V privilege, Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome