Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Driveshaft Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 22nd May 2009 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Update on driveshafts

MAnaged to start the job today and to be honest I had forgotten just how tight the driveshaft nut is.
My tools weren't up to it so I went to halfords for 24" Breaker bar. Apparently they are guaranteed for 25 years. Well I got it home and tested it. No chance with the bar on its own so I extended it with another 2 ft pole. Still no chance the bar was flexing like Robin Hoods bow. The only was I managed to get it off was to heat it up and swear a lot.

Finally It moved. REst of it went quite well untill I tried to refit the pin (and yes I did line it up using a 5mm punch as a guide.
Problem is whoever drilled the hole in the shaft got it slightley off and although the pin starts to go in I can't get it to go all the way.

Decided to knock it back out again from the other side and broke the punch in the hole. So now i've got a pin going half way in on side and a broken punch in the other.

My next decision was a better one. I put my tools away and cracked open a can of calming fluid.

Can't wait till morning to start again.
Currently in planmeca's garage:
Renault Laguna 1.8 16v x 2 and a lot of other things. could really do with a tidy up to be honest I'll do it tomorrow

Last edited by planmeca; 22nd May 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: hit the wrong button and posted next to nothing
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome