Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Would Radar/Laser detector work in Laguna 2

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 6th June 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I don't believe radar detectors are affected by the coated windscreen, though it's designed to absorb infra-red, so if the lasers operate on that wavelength (and I suspect that they do) you might have problems. Everything I've read about laser detection says it's hardly worth having anyway. You have to be very lucky to pick up a stray beam bouncing off another car, and by the time it's been aimed at you, it's too late to slow down.

Most GPS based devices (that don't actually detect the traps - they just warn you when you approach a specific location) will struggle to get a signal through the windscreen, though provided that they're mounted reasonably close to the dotted area around the mirror, you'll usually get a satellite lock.

If you're bothered by the legality of having a detector, then check things out before you buy. I'm not sure of the exact legal position right now, but last time I looked radar and laser detectors were about to be outlawed, but GPS based 'accident blackspot' warning systems were still perfectly legal.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome