Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2003 clio 1.2 16v - Starting Problems - HELP !!

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 24th May 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
HI Sara

I have exactly the same problem as you and im waiting on a fix.
I have a 1999 Clio 1.2.

It could be the starter motor or the solonoid attached to it thats at falut. I was also just informed on my thread that it still could be a duff battery even although it appears to be ok. So im gonna get that checked tomorrow at local garage.
It wont be the TDC sensor so ignore that. Ive had mines out around 3 times and cleaned it, to no avail. Anyway, the TDC would only be at fault if your engine was trying to turn over. So you can count it out.

I also replaced the connector to the solonoid (a common problem with Clios) but it didnt fix the problem. Replaced key fob batteries too (dont know why) but no use.

Do you have to try for ages before it starts? I had to turn the key around 50 times the other morning before it started! BUT, last 2 mornings has been startin 1st time as the weather has been mild! Strange....

The car is fine when its running, its only when it starting from COLD that i have issues with non starting.

Let me know how you get on as i have identical problems as you!!

Thanks for the information, very useful.

My car will not start at all no matter how many times I try. There is no sound at all from the engine or starter motor. Only get a starge clicking noise coming form the fuse box area.

I'll take a look at the things you suggested.

Thanks Again
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome