Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio learning new abilities!!!!!! (and other stuff)

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th May 2009 Thread Starter
Ben Cole
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Clio learning new abilities!!!!!! (and other stuff)

OK, haven't been here for a while as it's been over a year since I bought my Clio and generally things have gone well, therefore no need to come here to ***** or find answers....pretty good really.

Done over 30k miles in the year and have averaged consistently over 60mpg in my Clio "04" DCi 100. If I take it easy around 70mpg. All very pleasing and exactly what I bought the car for.

Bad points, little unrefined and expensive servicing (spent more on this than my Audi S4 (V8) or my Porsche Boxster S!!!!). I'm happy to accept it though because it does do a lot of miles.

Anyway back to the reason for the post......

One afternoon a couple of months ago I was swapping the front wheels to the back to even out the wear and I'd put my 2.5 yr old dauighter in the car to chat to me whilst I was working. She was playing with the lights in a deliberate fashion not the constant on-off you might expect of someone her age so I let her continue. When I took her out of the car as it started to get dark she said "look daddy I've put the lights on".

Didn't think anything of it until when I tried to move the car back forward to it's normal position I noticed the lights were on even though the switch was in the off position. Turned the ignition off and off went the lights. Turned the ignition back on but they didn't come back on.....until I started the engine. All this time the lights were in the off position.

Had a fiddle and couldn't work it out so I put it down to dodgy French electrics and went inside and forgot about it.

Then 2 days later I was driving to Southampton from Porthcawl and hit the Brynglas tunnels in Newport. To my surprise the lights turned on as soon as it went dark. I tried turning them off but of course they were already in the off position. They then turned themselves off after about 500yds of emerging from the other side.

To cut it short, the Clio now has automatic lights that behave exactly the same way as the "auto" setting did in my Audi. There is however no way to manually override this automatic behaviour as there is in all the other cars I've had with auto lights. Not a problem because the car's "judgement" is spot on.

The car definitely did not have auto lights when I bought it and it was only after my daughter played with the switches it developed this "optional extra"!!!!

If anybody has an explanation or similar experience I'd love to hear about it.

Really sorry about the hideously long post but I just had to tell somebody who might just think it's as amazing as my wife and I do!!!!

Currently in Ben Cole's garage:
Audi Q7, BMW Z4, Clio DCi100 (deceased)
  5 Lastest Threads by Ben Cole
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Speaker Upgrade 2015 Clio Electronics Ben Cole 0 345 25th March 2016 02:10 AM
My Clio has died at 259,300 miles :-( General Chat elysian12345 27 953 21st February 2016 12:27 AM
Opinion on a prospective purchase (megane sport) Cars & motoring Ben Cole 5 1289 28th April 2011 07:41 PM
Help Diagnosing Gearbox Problems (clio) Transmissions madnoel10 6 5790 31st March 2010 09:23 PM
Auto wipers/light sensor problem (vaseline)? Electronics Ben Cole 7 2286 14th July 2009 10:47 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome