Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Water on the brain (ECU)

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 26th May 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Water on the brain (ECU)

Hi Folks.
Had a major electronic problem today after washing my 04 Scenic 1.6 Privilege. I had to move the car once I had cleaned it and then all hell broke loose. Headlights,windscreen washers/wipers, cooling fan, hazard lights and numerous other bits came on and would not switch off. Dashboard lights showed electronic fault, parking brake fault, service fault and many other spurious messages. I could not stop the engine or move the car because the handbrake had locked on. All I could do was to stall the engine and hope that the fault would clear. This did not happen. The only option was to disconnect the battery and hope that this would resolve the problem. No such luck. When the battery was reconnected I did manage to get the car started but after five minutes all the faults re-appeared.The previous night we had heavy rain and I found that water either from my hosepipe or the rain had collected in the bulkhead by the bonnet hinges along with a collection of leaves and drained over on to the ECU box. The water had then found its way in to the box and caused mayhem in the electronics. Feeling brave or desperate I removed the ECU box (yes it can be done) and found it to be full of water. I meticulously dried out the box,main printed circuit board and all connectors and re-assembled the ECU . Left the car in the sunfor a while and then tried to start it up. BINGO, it worked and I have made two successful trips in the car since. To strip and clean out the ECU is not for the faint hearted but it can be done and hopefully this will cure the problem and save me the cost of a new ECU .
Hope this will be of some assistance.
Currently in winston7's garage:
2004 Renault Scenic Privilege
  5 Lastest Threads by winston7
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Water on the brain (ECU) Electronics ssgtflip 5 1492 26th May 2009 10:57 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome