Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2003 clio 1.2 16v - Starting Problems - HELP !!

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 27th May 2009
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
The next logical step to take is to see if you have a feed to the exciter/fire wire to the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position,this can be done with a multimeter or test light.If you have a feed,then your looking at a faulty starter or possibly a corroded earth connection between the engine and the battery/body.

If you don't have a feed,then you need to check the back of the ignition switch and see if you have one there.If not,then the ignition switch is faulty,if there is,then there is a problem with the wire between the starter and the switch.As far as I know there is no fuse in that wire,so if it is suspect then it must be damaged or corroded internally.

There is also a possibility of by-passing the feed from the ignition switch to the starter to check the operation of the starter,but I'm not sure if I advise anyone to try it unless they know what they are doing to be honest.You can 'jump' between the battery feed to the starter and the solenoid exciter/fire wire connection,but you have to be very careful doing it.

As said before,neither the immobiliser or the TDC sensor will prevent the engine from turning over,it has to be a problem on the actual starter circuit or an earthing problem on the engine.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome