Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 98 Clio 1.4RT Bad Starter

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 27th May 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi All,

I have been looking around here on and off for a few days trying to find an answer to my problem but none yet so I'll give as much detail as possible.

About 4-6 weeks ago my 98 Clio 1.4RT started to labour when starting, getting worse over a few days before just about not starting at all. I assumed it was the battery, got to my local garage who tested it and it had had it. They fitted a new one. Turn the key at the garage starter coil clicks, wont turn over wont start. Starter motors goosed mate! Next day new starter fitted, started like a dream, like a new car even. 200 gone but ...thats cars.

Next day wife goes to ASDA, rings me... car wont start. Rang the AA. Mechanic fitted new earth strap car starts fine.

Day after I go to work. Wont start, seems the battery is flat. Just about turns over but not fully. Try again dead no click from starter solenoid. Dash lights all ok. It's been like this for 3 weeks now.

I noticed when its dead if I lift the bonnet and wiggle battery leads, turn the key starts like a treat. I did this every morning for over a week. I metered the negative batt terminal to head and had 0.6ohm which i thought was a bit high so I stripped out the earths, cleaned all contacts and fitted new battery negative lead. Got reading down to 0.2ohm. Still does the same. I metered the battery at about 2000revs and had 14.5v so the alternator I guess is fine. I have removed TDC sensor and cleaned it (runs fine when I do get it started so assume its not this anyway as it seems to be a lack of battery power thats causing it).

After doing all this we had a few days of summer weather and it was ok, a little sluggish once or twice but would start first time. Then the rain starts again and it wont start from cold ie in the morning or after work sometimes.

I now notice that to start it is all I have to do is flick the battery positive cables going to the engine fuse box and it starts. I stripped the heat shrink of that battery connector and it looks as good as new. Checked all fuse connects for the green goo and all is clean.

Had to a friends garage who used to be renault senior mechanic at benfields and he's stumped too. Says i've tried all the usuall causes.

I haven't replace the relays in the engine fuse box, though I did swap them round as they are the same. No difference.

The symptoms are not turning over fully as if battery is nearly drained then completely dying (as if thin wire off starter solenoid is removed), usually only when its damp. All dash lights and other electrics are fine.

Anyone wishing to take a punt at this i'd be greatful.

Currently in haydnsclio1.4's garage:
1998 Clio 1.4RT

Last edited by chris m; 27th May 2009 at 11:52 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by haydnsclio1.4
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
98 Clio 1.4RT Bad Starter Electronics haydnsclio1.4 5 1297 27th May 2009 11:10 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome