Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Megane now has day running lights

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st May 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile The Megane now has day running lights

Following my posting a couple of weeks ago, I worked out a wiring system for adding day running lights on the Megane (2000 MY), and wired everything up today -- everything working great, and I've now got front and rear sidelights and dipped headlights on whenever the engine is running.

I've used 3 relays in the setup
1. Ignition switched sidelights
2. Ignition switched dipped headlights
3. Changeover relay to switch off dipped when main beam is on.

It would have been easier to do on the dual headlight model, as the dipped stay on with main, but mine only has the single bulb, dual filament H4 bulbs, and the bulbs would have melted if both filaments were both on for any length of time, so I had to include a further relay to kill the power to the dipped beam whenever main beam was switched on.

The permanent positives have been taken, fused, direct to the battery. The igniton live has been taken from the yellow cable in the multiplug attached to the bottom of the fusebox (by the accelerator), and all the wiring and relays have been located out of the way, nicely protected from the wet, inside the engine compartment fusebox, under the existing fuse block in there. And finally the routing of the ignition live through the bulkhead has been taken through the bonnet release cable grommet (had a hell of a job finding this -- wasn't expecting it to be on the PASSENGER side of the car under the dash when the release lever is on the DRIVER's side)

Anyway, I've attached a copy of my wiring diagram, please, anyone, feel free to make use of it if you wish. Obviously it will work with any vehicle with dual filament H4 headlight bulbs.

Thanks for the interest

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Day running lights wiring.pdf (98.0 KB, 87 views)
Currently in mikeholroyd's garage:
2005 Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9TDi & 2002 Seat Leon 1.6S. Both cars on K9 number plates for the dogs!
  5 Lastest Threads by mikeholroyd
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
What's this colour called? Bodywork VelSatisfied 2 875 12th June 2009 10:00 AM
The Megane now has day running lights Electronics mikeholroyd 2 1492 31st May 2009 12:58 AM
Air bag/pretensioner fuse Electronics mikeholroyd 4 1232 27th April 2009 07:30 PM
Please help, replacing interior Megane MY2000 Interiors lost_yeti 6 1252 27th April 2009 12:44 PM
Day running lights on Megane MY2000? Electronics mikeholroyd 7 1511 21st April 2009 12:27 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome