Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Now I'm relay confused

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2nd June 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Now I'm relay confused

OK, relays in the passenger compartment, what are they for?

There are 2 purple coloured ones and a red one.

All are 4 pin ISO standard and all feature a diode for spike protection.

I have run the basic test on them - all measure within the correct tolerances but I can't test them fully as I don't have a test lamp.They all returned more than 50ohms and measured infinity across the remaining two pins (Normally Open type relays)

OK - the reason why I'm asking....bear with me.

I'm still banging my head off a brick wall with my display unit and was fiddling with the BII connectors to see if any change was created by the movement (nothing happened)

Then I thought I felt burning heat briefly, upon investigating I noted that it was one of the purple relays that was roasting hot, the other was cool as a cucumber, I then checked the red one - also roasting hot.

I took the plunge and removed the roasting purple one for info so I could do some research, then eventually decided to remove all three for testing.

Being the Spanner Brain that I am I decided to see what would happen if I turned the ignition on without them.....

One would imagine removing these things would have a noticeable impact on something, however, evrything still did exactly the same as it did

Lights, horn, wipers, indicators, interior lights, radio all worked fine, the engine started and the display continued to act stupid; coming on then going off, then coming on, then going off yadayadayada.

So what the hell are they for?

And should they be cold or roasting?
Currently in Spanner_Brain's garage:
2001 Grand Espace 2.0 16V privilege, Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro
  5 Lastest Threads by Spanner_Brain
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Radio controlled car video YouTube Spanner_Brain 5 1819 3rd June 2009 11:22 PM
Naming and Shaming Feedback & Announcements Mike11 28 3899 2nd June 2009 03:20 PM
Now I'm relay confused Electronics Spanner_Brain 6 2115 2nd June 2009 01:03 PM
POLL attempt no.3 - Have you registered for... General Chat Spanner_Brain 37 4603 16th May 2009 05:44 AM
Name the part! Electronics Spanner_Brain 33 3790 15th May 2009 01:23 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome