Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Humming/Whine from underbonnet

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 4th June 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Originally Posted by Scenic 11 View Post

Well after fitting 2 brand new batteries and now on the 3rd (first 2 were faulty!!!! which didnt help) a new alternator was fitted which at the time seemed to cure the problem BUT the day after during a short ride out the alternator started a whining noise which built up to a screaming noise, the car was put on a low loader and returned to the garage.

The following day I got a phone call saying the car was fixed and another alternator was fitted, on picking the car up I was told that the pulley on the alternator had collapsed, after which the car was running ok but by this time I had lost my trust in it as I have a caravan in the far north of Scotland and do need a trustworthy car, so I did a complete cure and changed my number plate from a 53 to an 08 problem solved!!!! now have a nice Scenic dynamique with full sunroof.

There could be a moral in this for people having problems in that the parts replaced are no better or worse than the ones being replaced, perhaps I was unlucky but there you go.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, but the moral of the story could be. If you hadn't posted this problem I wouldn't have been able to fix my car and I would still be scarching my head.

I found this forum, because my grand espace has the same humming sound, as my battery had gone flat.
But I didn't have to change it just needed to recharge it.
My alternator is fine, so I think this will work.
So I will do a reboot tomorrow and see if it works for me. I believe this could work and makes perfect sense.
Well to me it does, as I build pc's all the time and I find this a challenge.

I'm glad I have found this forum, well thanks to Google.
Currently in Fudgie's garage:
2003 Renault grand espace
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome