Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Should i cut my losses and upgrade ???

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 6th June 2009 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 3 Times in 11 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Should i cut my losses and upgrade ???

hi all.. my 1st post.

I currently have a Mk1 Phase1 97 Laguna 1.8RT
though it has just been updated on the V5 to a 2.0RT as it had the wrong engine supplied, which was fitted back in 03 when the last one slipped its cam belt and ripped up the valves.

its had a fair amount of money spent on it in the last year (well over 1k) but the paint work is now showing its age on the back arches.

The new bits fitted are (new):
front struts, rear shocks with coilover springs, Fuel Tank straps, Fuel tank pipes, (Recon, ABS)rear disc calipers (i've still got 2 new boxed rear bearings), eco-catalytic converter, front/rear Discs and pads and its fitted with a (2.0L16v)Remus Stainless Steel Sports Back box which is custom sleeved onto a new (1.8L)mid box.

Brand new x4 16"winter tyres on a set of Refurbished Renault Alloys, also set of x5 low profile 17" Team dynamics alloys for the summer.

other bits replaced have been aircon radiator, fuel filler neck, main radiator, front Fans, Lower front x-member, .

It got upgraded from the very Basic RT so its got Spot lights, x4Mud Flaps, leccy heated mirrors, phase 2 front and back lights, illuminated miror sunvisors, interior was swapped over from a sport model, so black paterned seats/door cards, the entire hatch was taken off a RTE so its got a original renault spoiler, and no, its not lowered in anyway and it looks very nice.
A full tank of petrol and x4 people in the car and it doesnt drop more than 2".

the final straw this year was the gearbox failing whilst on the way home from work.
I managed to source a replacement gearbox the next day and had it fitted within a few days.

But after the paintwork on the rear arches has started to bubble up (thanks to all the salt they dumped on the roads that i drove through over the winter) and Welding work done to the bodywork...
I've lost the will to keep working on it.

Up until the gearbox problem i was expecting to keep the car at least another year or so...
It's is a runna but i have lost faith in it now...

I've spent a lot on service costs and i have doubt it is worth more than the resale value of the new parts fitted, which i reckon is at least 800+ with markdown as 2nd hand.

Should i cut my losses and buy a Laguna Mk2 Phase 1 1.8 estate for about 2.5K on a very very low milage 2001 model and just blitz it with a major service in the hope i can save money in the long term?
Currently in mord's garage:
The CreditCard Holes sooo DEEEEP NASA have put up warning signs about a black hole on the Driveway: update, the driveway and home have fallen in...
  5 Lastest Threads by mord
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
cross compatability between engine models? Engines wyn burgess 1 169 12th January 2016 11:33 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome