Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - '98 Laguna I suddenly won't start.

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 8th June 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 3 Times in 11 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Here's A tip

i had problems with my 97' 1.8L 8v laggy over the last couple of years.
it would drop dead when trying to start the car at random times.
All electrics would cut out, and i mean ALL power would be cut off.
Even the ICE, which was direct to the battery terminals.

Initially i replaced the 65Ah battery with a 130AH one(the biggest i could get to fit in the Battery tray), the problem then went away for a bit but i replaced the starter motor just to be safe a month later.

The only way to restore power was to pop the bonnet, and whack the battery, at the point between the terminals, where there is a safety overload circuit (think large bi-metalic strip, that pops open if it gets too hot)
. . _______
|. . oooooo . |

the fault ws eventually pinned down to an issue with the starter motor, at least the problem went away after we replaced it... for some time...

Only problem was that overloading of the battery did some damage to it, as one day the car would not start as it was refusing to rechage.
The nice RAC man came out and did some heavy duty tests on the battery, the kind where he advises you to stand behind his van (just in case your battery explodes, when he puts a maximum load on the battery).

As it was only 2.5 years old it had to be replaced under the 3year warranty with Halfords (hehehe the store manager was really unhappy about having to replace it(keep your reciepts!))
(dont let them fob you off when they test the battery with thier mickey mouse green multimeter, the only way to properly test a battery is with high current test equipment, as RAC/AA carry on thier vans. He only swapped it because i told him it had failed an RAC test, half an hour before, and the RAC had recharged it just to get me to the store)
Currently in mord's garage:
The CreditCard Holes sooo DEEEEP NASA have put up warning signs about a black hole on the Driveway: update, the driveway and home have fallen in...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome