Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio of Despair!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11th June 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Renault Clio of Despair!

Hi all!
This is regarding my wife's clio which we have only owned for about two weeks. Bought privately so taking it back is not an option. Besides, it's lovely when it's working and only has 41k on the clock.

Renault Clio (N plate) '94-'95.
1.4 RT Auto.

A few days ago after heavy rain, water started coming out of the Infra red sensor beneath the sunroof (manual), i now know this is very common in clios. I opened it up and dried it out. The next day the bugger wouldn't start- just a click from the engine (passenger side), but all electrics were on. So thinking it was the immobiliser (although no flashing immobiliser light) i took it all apart again- the circuit was badly corroded due to water damage but still intact, a trip to the breakers got me a new circuit, out of a scenic (i think it was anyway) from the same year, (the circuit is exactly the same) but obviously i couldn't use the plip on the key as i couldn't get it synced.

The car started ok after a couple of goes... YAY i thought.

Next day- dead again. But although it was a night of heavy rain, the inside where the circuit is was bone dry. My father in law said he thought it could be the battery... ok so i try jumping it with my jeep- it starts! Hurrah- i get a new battery with my last 50. Starts each time no problem. We took it out for the day, no worries. We breath a collective sigh of relief.

Next day- dead again. My brain is starting to fry from the effort of staying sane...

I tried jumping it again, it did maybe half a turn then refused to do anything. Now it's just sitting there sulking like a scolded child.

I keep thinking i'm an extra in "Herbie goes Bananas".

I have checked everything i can with my limited mechanical knowledge, fuses, connections etc. Could it be the starter motor? The cam belt was changed at 30k and the service history is good.

We really need it to be running without the fear of it stopping as my wife needs it to work and sometimes travels quite a way. Unfortunately we are not particularly flush, so any thoughts of taking it to renault are out!

Help us obi wan, your our only hope...

Thanks in advance!
  5 Lastest Threads by gunstar
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
D3 light on scenic dash... Electronics madnoel10 2 1417 17th December 2009 02:25 PM
Renault Clio of Despair! Electronics Ralph 6 1533 11th June 2009 01:14 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome