Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic 1/Megane 1/Coupe 1 - Rear Cross Member Corrosion

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11th June 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Rotten bolt on metal bar under rear of Megane Scenic

I've just successfully got my 1999 T reg, Megane Scenic 1.6 RT Alize through it's MOT but while the testers were underneath the car they pointed out a thin metal bolt on cross member type thing towards the rear of the car which is completely rotted through. They stated that it's not part of the MOT so didn't fail the car on it but said that I really ought to have it replaced as and I quote, "It must be there for a reason", lol. They didn't know what it was for either, lol. My best guess is that it's either some kind of torsion bar or it helps to keep the two sides of the body a correct distance apart but I really don't know.

It only seems to fasten on with one bolt on each end and these are definitely going to require surgery to get them off.

The problem is that I don't know what the rotten part is to be able to buy a new one or how to get to the other side of the bolts and the Haynes manula doesn't mention any chassis components at all.

The bar itself connects from one side of the chassis to the other and is quite literally just bolted on from what I can tell.

It seems such a simple thing but if I can't do it myself I can imagine it costing quite a bit to get a garage to replace it due to possibly having to take a number of interior items out to get to the other side of the bolts.

Has anyone got any clue what part this is or how to replace it?

Thanks in advance,

Currently in farbinjudder's garage:
Megane Scenic 1.6 RT Alize 1999 T reg (avec MOT, lol). :-)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome