Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - where to place axle stands

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12th June 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hi Jeff, and welcome.

I regularly have to jack cars up, to remove the alloys (refurbishing them, not stealing them).

I normally look for a solid chassis rail to place the jack under, or, if none is available, the main jacking points along the sill.

I then place the axle stands on a substantial beam very close to the hub (this places the car's weight where it would normally be, if sitting on its wheels).

If you wish to place the axle stands on these sill points, then you can use one jacking point to raise the entire side, which would allow an axle stand to be positioned at the end you will be working on, then repeat for the other side.

Be careful how high you lift however, as the axle stands will have less car to hold, and any camber may make the raised car unstable.

It is for these reasons, that I've never used that method myself - be careful indeed.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome