Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Low Petrol Light on all time?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12th June 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Karen,

My 2002 Cilo just developed the exact same fault today. I left work, no warning lights, stalled the car at a junction, when I started it back up, the fuel warning light was on.

The 'guage' reads just under a quarter of a tank, the trip computer this morning read 120miles remaining, but now reads ---.- miles remaining.

When I do the self-test it shows as 12litres, which is correct and should be good for 100 miles.

I do not have a haynes manual yet, but when I do the self test it shows...

All elements of the trip computer on.
"12L <Fuel symbol>"
"0.5" alternating with "0.2" <-- Are these error codes?
Then "-----"

I then switched the car off. Held in the reset button and switched it on, then started the engine with it held in and nothing appeared to happen.

The fuel light is still on and the trip computer still reads ---.- miles remaining.

What is irritating is that it (trip computer) reports 12Litres of fuel, which is correct. It reports the MPG correctly 41.2MPG and so... how can it not calculate the remaining distance? Doesn't make sense. My first thought was the trip computer no long knows how much fuel is in the tank, but clearly it knows fine rightly!

I suppose I should take it for a drive and stick 20quid in it to be sure, that would also give the trip computer some more data on MPG etc, which I just reset again.

Any other thoughts?

I work in software so I am qualified to say... Electronics and software in particular are great when they work, but when they don't they are ignorant, frustrating, annoying P'sOS!

Currently in venquessa's garage:
2002 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique (NI Reg), 2007 Kawasaki KLE 500
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome