Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - anthracite paint code for clio 182 alloys? HELP

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 15th June 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
You're close, here's my method;

1. Remove the alloys from the car
  2. Clean them inside & out with an alloy cleaner (this exposes all the damage, and removes any possible contaminant that could compromise the finish (e.g. brake dust)
  3. Dry off thoroughly, inside & out
  4. Mask off the entire sidewall & valve stem/cap
  5. Rub down the 'outside face' of the wheel (including spokes), and use the sander on smoothing out whatever damage on the wheel is present, and get the correct general shape - aluminium is a 'soft metal' so is easily worked
  6. Remove the dust
  7. Apply 3 coats of primer (matt black in this case) allowing about 10mins between coats (if you are doing all 4wheels, just apply one coat to each, then back to the first one again)
  8. Re-examine for any imperfections & rework as necessary
  9. Lightly key the primed surface with something like 1000 grit sandpaper & remove any dust
  10. Apply 3 coats of 'colour' basecoat and again allow to dry atmospherically (about 30mins)
  11. Apply 'tack coat' of lacquer (and leave for 30 mins)
  12. Apply 3 coats of lacquer, but dry each wheel with a heatgun per coat (give one coat to a wheel, then heat, put it aside, and do another wheel)
  13. Give them at least an hour from the last coat before removing all the masking tape.
One final point is the Renault badge on the centre caps - these can be removed by carefully unclipping the plastic lugs which protrude into the inside - this saves any awkward masking off.

I can do a set in around 4 hours, allow a bit longer than this.

Any further questions/clarification, please just ask away.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome