Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 1.5dci intermittant starting problem esp when cold.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 16th June 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Clio 1.5dci intermittant starting problem esp when cold.

Firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong section. I drive a 2003 Renault Clio 1.5dci. My car has intermittant starting problems. It can start fine, then one day it may take 20 turns to crank.
I'm aware of an issue with key fobs and I went to my Renault stealer who would only advise a new key at cost 140 as a "starting point" with no guarantee.
From reading the forums i learned this problem woud not show in diagnostics so i spent today with my mechanic discussing the problem He advised i goto an independant who would put it on a computer. so i gave in, 30 and guess what? No fault!
What makes me iffy as regards to a new key is the fact that sometime the red immob light will be constant and the engine will crank and cut out, but other times it will flash the engine management light and not crank. Just nothing! the clicking noise is working as it always did.
This is confusing me as im worried it may be another issue.
I have noticed aswell that it mainly only happens when its cooler. I also took all the relays out of my ECU and discovered that a red one 12v 60amp has one prong completley corroded. When i remove it however the car still starts. I dont even know what it is for.
If i eventually get the car started in the morning it is usually fine unless it has been sitting for extended periods of 2 hours or more. I've just bought the car, last week i serviced it and put a new fan belt on it. Thurs it is booked in for a timing belt change as it has no service history and now this! I'm really annoyed. I cant afford it but i need the dam thing to travel the 50 miles a day to work for min wage! If anyone can advise me I would really appreciate it as i feel im being continually ripped off, first with the owner i purchased from and every bloody mechanic since! My holiday fund is going down the pan!

Thank you!
Currently in Skidancer's garage:
2003 Renault Clio 1.5 dci 65 billabong & 1996 Renault 5 1.4 Prima
  5 Lastest Threads by Skidancer
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault 5 How do you fit an after market Temp... Older renaults (pre-1992) Skidancer 2 2911 23rd January 2010 11:27 AM
Clio 1.5dci intermittant starting problem esp... Electronics madnoel10 1 1312 16th June 2009 01:40 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome