Independent Renault Forums banner

no voltage at solenoid lock on boot of my megane estste

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  billwill 
#1 ·
Hi There.

Wonder if any one has come across this problem. I cant open the boot using the fob or the button on the boot i have to open it with a driver from inside the boot.
I have had the cover off and metred the cable at the solenoid but there is no voltage present. Any ideas please?

#2 ·
hi

the renaults have a bad habit of placing loom connectors on the floor running along the inside of the sills. (which are prone to getting wet and corroding)
i got a simlilar problem, ive lost power to the boot electrics.

usuall locations are, bottom of mid door pilar, and over the rear arch, both on drivers side.
may also be additional loom running down passenger side, with connectors in similar locations.

also rear loom that goes to the top and is shrouded by rubber boot passing into the boot assembly, this bit should be wired with high flexability type cables to prevent cracking and failure of the wiring, though they can get water ingress and then corode and fail, had it on the hatch loom on the laggy1.

there will also be connectors lower down in the boot panel, which may be corroded, you wont know till you pull the inner panel off and look inside.

you will HAVE TO check all connectors in the boot panel for corrosion, and make sure all are lubbed up with WD40/silicon spray etc...

if you have to replace the loom for the boot, you will have to pull all cable out the top of the panel where it feeds to the main car body, and disconnect from the inner wing and pull out at the top.
refit is from the top and get it down the box section of the boot and wing, fidley to say the least.

best to do in the dry really...
as standing in the pooring rain is not fun.

dont forget to check your fuses first, it might be something silly.

very best of luck to us both on ths shared fault:d

#4 ·
If it's the same as the Clio you only get a voltage for
a fraction of a second the neg and pos swap wires
for open closed.

#5 ·
I took the plunge (almost litterly) got the boot open with that little slot in the plastic on the catch from inside the boot.
I unclipped the interior rear panel, and found that there is a drain tube at the middle of the panel under the window latch, looks like the fittings that connect to he boot had come away so all the water was pouring in all over the electrics and down into the spare wheel well.
(i'll deal with that loose pipework tomorrow)

I took the switches off my pushing them out through the boot panel, and released the electical connectors, which are very fidly if tried from inside.

They were both soaking wet, gave them a squirt of wd40 reattached and they now work ok, except that they both still have water in them and both have perished rubber.
So i will hunt down some replacements, dealership quoted 23 for the window switch and 35 for the main boot switch units. I'll also pickup some new inner panel retaining clips as i have a few missing and they are quite loose fitting.

#7 ·
In my 2002 Grande Espace, there was no facility for a screwdriver to poke in and free the rear lock.

AND... the fastening screws for the rear panel cannot be reached with the door shut. What a truly stupid design.

Last winter in the cold, the lock seized and I had to wait for warmer weather before I could get the rear door open. Once I got it open I took the door panel off and cleaned and oiled the lock with silicon oil to free it up, but to make sure that I never got stuck like that again, I cut a 2 inch circular hole in the back panel, over where the lock is and then covered the hole with a 3 inch disk of thick rubber and 3 self tap screws.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.