Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Smashed Driver's Door Mirror

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd June 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smashed Driver's Door Mirror

Coming home last week, my wife was driving the car when there was a massive "bang" and the drivers door mirror literally exploded .... courtesy of the a******e coming the other way who was way too close. Luckily he didn't hit the bodywork ... bit the door mirror didn't survive the 60MPH+ combined speed of the two cars ... I'm hoping theirs is in a similar state. It left a nice mirror-shaped ding in the door skin, which I have yet to decide what to do with. And before you ask, the only details I got from here was it was "blue"

I picked up a new mirror for 51 (electric-operated and heated) from Allparts South West Ltd. which arrived in a couple of days. But the cover wasn't painted and came with a rough-surface unlike the now-deceased original.

To get around this I sprayed the cover thus:

1) 2 coats of Plastic primer filler ... and rubbed the first coat down with 1500 wet&dry with soap and water after 24 hours, dried it off then added a second coat. Rubbed that down after 24 hours.
2) Plastic primer (grey in my case as the car's black). Another gentle rub down with same 1500 w&d.
3) Black metallic/pearlescent paint (two coats). Didn't run these down as I didn't want to cut into the metallic particles.
4) Clear coat (3 coats).

Looks pretty good if I say so myself. The new mirror came with a temperature sensor .. but as this is already in the passenger mirror, it isn't connected to the wiring loom. Still the two small "dimples" now match ...

All in, under 80.

The drivers window, door panel and door seal were covered in tiny fragments of glass. I used a vacuum cleaner to get most this off, holding the seal away from the glass to get to the bits stuck between the two. Then I hosed down the rest .. don't rub it off for obvious reasons ...

PS paint all came from Halfords ... the only Renault black they stick is the metallic/pearlescent which was a bit of luck.
Currently in gazza82's garage:
2004 Clio 1.5 dCi Dynamique 3dr, 1998 Alfa Romeo 2.0 TSpark SP2
  5 Lastest Threads by gazza82
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Hazard Switch Electronics gazza82 0 539 6th February 2013 07:19 PM
Smashed Driver's Door Mirror Bodywork VelSatisfied 5 1311 22nd June 2009 01:26 PM
Clio 1.5 dCi EGR Valve Engines wj12 6 6188 26th February 2009 04:36 PM
Clio Mk II Door Locks Bodywork madnoel10 5 1522 16th February 2009 12:51 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome