Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rally N3 Clio - tach adapter

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 23rd June 2009
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Originally Posted by Baal View Post
The problem is not so technical, basically what a shiftlight or tach need to work is just 2 things, current and a pulse.

The pulse cars emit varies depending on the number of cylinders, most tachs/shiftlights have 3 options for 8,6,4 cylinders.

Most of the time the pulse is gotten from the coil and you clip wires depending on how many cylinders it has.

Some times you need an adapter because the ignition system uses a double spark system that gives pulses like it were a 2 cylinder car, so you have to buy the adapter.

However, on the Clio we got current (shiftlight starts when i open the switch) but we have no pulse it seems so i am unsure how the ignition system of the Clio works, why cant i get negative pulses?

BTW the shiftlight is like this one:

(not sure if exact model but very alike)
Hi Baal

I fitted an after market rev counter to my Espace and by the looks of things the wiring is the same as you shift changer and i also had problemsnow i never know there was an adapter for it so this i have to say interests me too,my Espace does not have a coil pack it has pencil coils per plug and my Rev counter was fitted to the - wire running from the pencil coil closest to the timing belt on the may F4R engine but because of the wasted spark it never worked on any of the settings i had like yours i was only getting half a true reading if that makes sense?now if my car had been fitted with its own factory rev counter iam sure its wired to the ecu ?but i never knew there was an adapter out there??as i said before i hope you get to the bottom of this,

There was a member on the forum that helped and gave me advice Horatio it think but i was never brave enough to do as he suggested,if you give me a minute i will look it out,i do realize its a rev counter but its wiring was the same as yours and works on the same principle,

Back soon all the best Donald
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome