Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Definitive Sat Nav CD Compatibility?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 29th June 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by hu88ertvelsat View Post
Thanks for those helpful pointers, Ian.

My sat nav still seems to work ok with the 2003 Map Disc I have, which is the original, but I've made a backup copy too and this works ok as well.

But it doesn't respond to the Languages 5 CD or even the (original) Languages 5 v4.6 CD, and it spits out the 2008 Map CD (Navteq original) too.

If it is the CD drive, I may therefore hang on to the 2008 Navteq Map CD (which came with the Languages 5 CD) as it may work in my dad's 2003 Vel Satis full colour Initiale, so at least I didn't waste my money completely.

I'm pretty depressed though that the GPS aerial packed in and now seemingly the CD drive may have too! :-(

Oh, just one question I've thought of... when I insert the 2008 Map CD, the system comes back saying something like "CD contains no map data - only contains travel information" - any idea what this is about? I thought maybe it's not picking up the 2008 maps as my firmware/system software isn't up to date, but you say it is, so I guess this isn't the reason behind this message.

Cheers Ian!

I've never seen that message - it kind of suggests that the CD is being read OK but the data on it is not for this vesrion of the Carminat.

AFAIK mapping data works like this ...

There are two companies providing mapping data; Navteq and Teleatlas. This raw data needs to be presented in a form suitable for the Sat Nav in question. The Renault Carminat you have is based on an original design by Philips (Carin) and then VDO/Siemens.
VDO/Siemens produced a number of OEM versions for the likes of BMW, Rover, Renault and others. These all use the same map CD. (so a BMW map disk will work in a Renault).

Regarding the Language CD, it might be worth trying to load a new voice; the Carminat stores two in internal memory but you can change these from the disk.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi

Last edited by Eeeps; 29th June 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome