Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - General - Speed camera detectors and GPS receivers

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 3rd September 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I'm running a TomTom GO 700 GPS sat-nav unit, and it suffers from the same problem. The Laguna II windscreen does, however, have an uncoated area - it's the dotted bit that's either side of the rear view mirror. The GO gets an excellent signal if located there, so I'd expect any other GPS device to work equally well. The only problem is that it stops you from using one of the sun visors. If your detector is a bit smaller, that might not be so much of a problem.

Otherwise, as Selwonk says, just buy a re-radiating antenna. Just take care not to buy too high a powered one, as you can apparently get feedback problems between the receiving antenna and the re-radiating element. The link he gave appears to be for a 45cm model, which should be just about ideal.

If you do go for a re-rad, the receiving antenna works well when placed in the dotted area on the windscreen - I'm now running the GO with a wired remote antenna placed there, and it's great. A colleague put the remote antenna for his Road Angel on the outside of his car, and some scrote cut the cable and swiped it!
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome