Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - General - Speed camera detectors and GPS receivers

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 4th September 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by OG
The re-rad unit was cheaper than the TTGo ariel so a result really.
I did ask around before buying, and the general consensus seemed to be that you'd get a stronger signal out of the wired antenna than through a re-rad. Still, if you're running more than one GPS receiver, the re-rad definitely makes more sense.

In the end, I went for the TomTom permanent install kit. For 100 quid, I not only got the antenna (which normally costs 50 on its own) but also got charging and stereo muting/instructions through the car speakers to boot. Well, in theory at least.

In practice, the 'voice through the stereo' facility is next to useless, thanks to really bad digital noise whenever the GO speaks. I posted a note to this effect on the Expansys GO forums, and it seems that at least two other people have the same problem, while nobody has piped up and said "Mine's fine!" I've gone back to using the internal speaker, which kind of defeats the object, especially considering that you have to remove the stereo to install the TomTom module. All it's really given me is external power, which I could have obtained from the lighter socket. I might not even bother on the new car, and just tap the power supply into the back of the central locking switch, as I did with my TrafficMaster on this one.

The one other bonus of the permanent docking kit is that you get the parts for a full additional mount. Well, except for the centre bolt anyway. A standard M5 bolt does the trick perfectly, and leaves us with the complete suction mount to use in the Clio (which, fortunately, has a sensible windscreen.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome