Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - K-reg Clio 1.4 Automatic starting problem.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th July 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
K-reg Clio 1.4 Automatic starting problem.

Ok, after my darling daughter ran her MKII off the road and trashed the suspension, I've managed to blag her a runabout while I fix it, but it has a problem.

Its a K-reg 1.4 auto which has a mountain of paperwork to support a mileage of 69k. It has an intermittent problem (which I can't clear at all at the moment) as follows:

Turn the key to 'live' position and everything works fine, but turn it to 'start' and three things happen - (i) fuel gauge needle falls back to zero, (ii) a warning light illuminates on the dash (a horizontal zig-zag with a solid line above it) and (iii) although the engine starts, it hunts for a few seconds then cuts out. Battery is fine.

No idea what the warning light is, cos theres no handbook on such an old car, and because the reversing lights only go out when the box is in 'Park' - they stay on at all other times when this fault is present - I'm thinking some kind of gearbox sensor might be at fault..... car isn't worth tuppence so don't want to take it to a dealer....can anyone help with the warning light or a potential diagnosis please?

Many thanks.

Currently in zoesdad's garage:
Nissan terrano 2.7TDi, BMW Z4
  5 Lastest Threads by zoesdad
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
K-reg Clio 1.4 Automatic starting problem. Electronics zoesdad 9 2134 13th July 2009 12:26 PM
Clio II Lambda Sensor Engines zoesdad 6 20115 6th July 2009 01:39 PM
Y-plate Clio 1.2 16v keeps cutting out. Engines zoesdad 2 1137 14th May 2009 07:48 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome