Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Swap manual roof for electric one

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 16th July 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Hello J, and welcome.

Hmm, do you mean swap the manual parts of your existing hood for electrically operated parts, or swap the roofs & mechanisms wholesale?

Couple of issues from the start - have you seen/can you see this hood operating? If its broken, you may want to either walk away, or pay significantly less for it.

I would reckon its possible, and if you can obtain all the parts from the donor car, then its just really a matter of removing the manual parts, and replacing with the electrical items - except, there will be a switch to be added, and I would reckon on there being some form of speed sensor which will not allow the mechanism to operate when the car is travelling more than a certain speed (or moving at all).

Definitely a job for 2 people.

Keep us informed what you decide, and how you get on.

Best wishes,

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome