Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Repairs tomorrow

View Single Post
post #31 of (permalink) Old 13th June 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by dkmulvey
FYI.... to prevent smells getting into the system in the first place, it's always a good idea to turn the A/C off 3 minutes before you finish your journey, and just leave the fans blowing.

This dries out any condensation that's built up in the system, which would otherwise allow the growth of smelly bacteria.
That sounds like a very good idea but the function of air conditioning is to deliver dry cold air by passing it first through the refrigerated matrix thus causing condensation to take place. I don't really believe there would be any condensation after a journey especially in warm weather... the surfaces need to be >5 deg C colder than moisture-laden air for condensation to form. In the building trade, when a building needs fast drying it is de-humidified by large-capacity aircon outputting hundreds of thousands of BTUs. Just a simple window-type aircon unit will output something like 25,000 BTUs using up to about 3 Kilowatts of electricity. At any rate, condensation collects and then ices before it melts again to run off to pre-determined drainage. Even such a small unit can collect many gallons of water in the course of a day, making the system quite efficient.
So I don't really think this is what your problem boils down to Ginge. I did form a suspicion that maybe your air intake might be permanently shut or blocked so you may be getting recirculation of stale air already inside the cabin. You could check the humidity in your carpeting and underlay for an idea... and if they smell like a hobo's socks, they could probably do with taking out of the car and exposing to the direct sunlight of a hot day like we've just been having..... Get in quick... it won't last forever.
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome