Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic 1/Megane 1/Coupe 1 - Rear Cross Member Corrosion

View Single Post
post #48 of (permalink) Old 22nd July 2009
Bri B
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Whilst my wife's car was having it's MOT the mechanic told me that this dreaded bar was severely corroded, as he did not know what the bar was for he covered himself by making it an advise for the MOT. having seen the condition of the bar I decided to renew it I also said that I would find out from Renault what it was for. The first Renault dealer I went to did not know what it was for but they hardly sold any in the past but now they fit at least one a week!!!! He thought that it was some sort of rear suspension torsion bar. He did not have one in stock but the other branch did so I went there, it was 19.80 + VAT. When I asked them what it was for they said that it was a bracket to fasten the fuel pipes to!!!! A bit OTT for a bracket I thought. My mechanic is still non the wiser as to whether it is a failure item or not. As for making one is it really worth all that effort to save a couple of quid? I am sorry but one thing it isn't is a drain tube for the sills as it does not even touch the sills. As it attaches to the rear suspension I would have thought that it was some sort of crude torsion bar.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome