Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Another Espace Wannabe

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd July 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Another Espace Wannabe

I am now thinking of moving on from my trusty Mercedes E320 CDI estate - It runs really well, but is slowly rusting into the ground (and it is just 9 years old).

I paid 5k for it 3 years ago and it has given me 60k trouble free miles. I need an estate and 7 seats - I would love another E Class, however, 12k for a 2003/04 car with reasonable miles is just too much to spend on a car with a pretty dodgy reliability record

I recently drove past my Renault dealer and saw a very nice late 06 Grand Espace with 50k miles and a lovely 3.0L engine for under 12k (looking on auto trader it is a bit pricey... however it is a Renault dealer)

The ride and engine are fantastic (which is praise indeed comming from a life long Merc enthusiast), I love the flexible seating arrangement, and shock horror, the quality seems to be good.

So before I part with my hard earned cash, should I do it - what is the reliability record of the 3.0L diesel like (is it an issuzu engine? is it the same one fitted to the Vectra?) - I see lots of stories of siezed engines requiring 8k repairs. Is the 6 speed box reliable (it was fantastic to drive)

The car was sold and serviced by the same garage for its whole life, and it is a well pampered car - if it was a lemon, I don't think that they would be selling it on.

All the electrics work, as you would expect on a 2 1/2 year old car

I noticed that the Sat Nav doesn't have a postcode funtion, is there a software upgrade?

Any advice would be welcome

5 Lastest Threads by mattsurf
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Another Espace Wannabe Cars & motoring saabguy 5 874 22nd July 2009 06:36 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome