Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - CLOCKSPRING (aka "rotational connector!") *FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Angry CLOCKSPRING (aka "rotational connector!") *FIXED*

Hello again Renault buffs! While my daughter continues to possess an 03 Megane (large derriere - the car, not the daughter!), I anticipate that my name will appear regularly in this forum as the problems are mounting up faster than I can fix 'em!

Today's subject is the CLOCKSPRING but nothing to do with clocks!
Daughter reported recently a chafing noise when turning steering wheel. I thought her kids have put silver paper between steering wheel and column surround. Had a look with a torch, could not see owt. "It will clear itself", I declared, carry on driving.
Then came the bad news. "Dad, the airbag light is on and SERVICE indicator is lit....." "Curses, why did you have to buy this wretched car!
A further investigation reveals that the clockspring is probably damaged although I cannot be sure until I remove the airbag, the steering wheel and the switch module. Simples! Not quite so simple. According to Senor Manuel Haynes, the clockspring is not available on its own but as part of the column switch module. Wow, sounds expensive!
Do any of you buffs know if there is a problem with clocksprings on this model? Instead of being wound on smoothly, it seems to have "piled up" in a birds nest (anglers will recognise this description!)
Any ideas about replacing this item? (It's not really a spring but a folding tape with about 5 conducting lines running along it.) The car has done about 65,000 miles.
Loads of Renault clocksprings on Ebay but all earlier models and these appear to be separate items. It's dodgy buying a unit from a vehicle in which the airbag has been deployed as manufacturers state that ALL the airbag compontents should be renewed. (Having said that I have on my workbench a MONDEO clockspring that I removed from a written-off vehicle and the clockspring connections are as perfect as the one I have that did NOT come from a damaged car. You will probably gather I know a bit about clocksprings, but not on Renaults!)
Meanwhile the car continues to run OK but the dreaded message appears on the display "steering is not locked!!" - seen it all before!
Any suggestions anybody please? (I don't wish to sound arrogant but suggestions such as "leave well alone, do not touch airbag, take to Monsieur Renault etc will not be acceptable..........mate!
Currently in triumph2.5man's garage:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to triumph2.5man For This Useful Post:
chezzz (27th May 2015), Mcbrumcarr (9th December 2013), merlinni (12th March 2014), Musiclive (9th September 2013)
  5 Lastest Threads by triumph2.5man
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Clio 2 - 1.2 Power Loss*FIXED* Clio MARTFRICK2 3 17808 14th February 2010 06:36 PM
Megane 2 steering rack axial balljoint replacement Wheels & tyres mark p 18 22343 27th January 2010 07:09 PM
Megane 2 steering rack worn Steering and Suspension triumph2.5man 15 34758 7th September 2009 07:53 PM
CLOCKSPRING (aka "rotational connector!")... Megane Corkboy 59 98254 26th July 2009 06:14 PM
Resetting "flashing spanner" display - Megane... Electronics clyde1 4 18450 10th March 2009 08:19 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome