Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Oh no, not yet another type of screw!!

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 14th June 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by RIKER1
thats at most decent shops where you will be asked to produce documents but if you buy from the online company's you'll not get asked.
These stupid new laws meant that the first time I took my caravan out with the new car, I had to tow it illegally.

The car arrived mid week, and it was a mad rush to get a towbar on it for Friday. I tried to get hold of a number plate, but the paperwork for the car hadn't come through yet (it's a leased vehicle) and so I was forced to tow the caravan with the old car's number plate on it.

In the end, I found a place on eBay that did two plates for a tenner. I asked them nicely and they did me two rears (the offer was a front and a rear) so I have a spare for my trailer board. Technically, these are illegal too (they don't have the supplier's name and poscode on the bottom) but considering that many people consider a matching number plate on a trailer to be optional, I'd say it's good enough

The legislation is supposedly to stop car ringing and the like, but if the crooks can forge a V5 document, I'm sure getting fake plates made up doesn't pose much of a problem. I've always suspected that the real reason is that they were half expecting the same backlash against speed cameras as happened in Holland, where many drivers run round with false plates specifically to avoid tickets. And that still goes on here too (I recall a couple of forum members who've had their registrations 'cloned'.)

So a wonderful bit of legislation that only really inconveniences the honest driver who's trying to stay legal, while doing nothing to deter the crooks.

I'll stop ranting now
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome