Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Holiday car rental recommendations?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th June 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Holiday car rental recommendations?

We've just booked flights for Tenerife next March and I'm just getting round to sorting out a hire car.

Previously, we've used Their prices seem pretty good to me, and with one exception (details below) they've always given us a decent car in more or less 'as new' condition.

I'm currently looking at around 100 quid for the week for a 5 door Clio (or similar) with air-con. Their prices include full CDW, and theft cover (with 600 quid excess on theft - ouch!) Surcharges (that I'll need) are 3.50 a day for an additional named driver and 5.30 a day for a child seat. Total cost for the week, about 160 quid.

Last time around, we didn't need the child seat, and they were doing additional named drivers for free. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any better deals for Tenerife, particularly companies that you've had personal experience of and would be prepared to recommend.

Oh, and the 'duff' car was a Punto Cabriolet. It was battered to hell, had over 50K on the clock, and the gearbox felt like it was running on borrowed time. They reckoned all their cars were new (hence the name of the website) but I later discovered that Fiat had stopped making the Punto Cabriolet several years earlier. What was most annoying was I'd shelled out 200 Euros for a ragtop, when I could have had a decent hatchback for 140.

But sticking with conventional cars, they've always been great. Last time round, we got a supposed 'upgrade' to a Peugeot Partner - it was dog slow, but we must have done about two laps of the island on less than ten quid'sworth of diesel
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
  5 Lastest Threads by Horatio
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio II odd ABS fault Electronics jamie 6 3842 22nd May 2011 08:49 AM
Carminat TomTom nightmare Electronics JohnKFreeman 9 16974 7th May 2011 09:54 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome