Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna vs Mondeo vs Saab

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 13th August 2009
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Our 54 plate Mondeo 115bhp TDCi has done close to 120k and returns an average of 51mpg with mixed driving(mainly on country B-roads,motorway driving is more 60mpg territory but we very rarely do it).I don't want to tempt fate,but it has been pretty reliable bar a failed water pump/power steering pump assembly (a common fault on these) and a split turbo hose.It's a well built,solid car,but no matter what I do I can never be 100% comfortable in it,and it does have a few strange foibles like the fact that it is very easy to stall when pulling away and the steering tramlines over certain types of roads.

The Saab diesel is basically a Vectra in disguise,and is probably not made as well as a comparative Vauxhall.Saab have been through a fairly rough patch build quality wise,and the early 2 litre and 2.2 diesels are painfully slow.

The Renault Laguna 2 dCi is.....erm.....well,just have a search around the forum.

This is my own opinion,but I would think that the Mondeo would be the one to have,but I'd have a look at a Honda Accord and a Mazda 6 before going too far.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome