Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What Does The Word 'Service' Mean To You?

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
For a 99 service I would expect, Oil + filter. Air filter and a top up of fluids if it needed it.
That's all we did when I worked in a well known Alpha & Fiat dealer in Cardiff. For that price you also got a 'free' MOT chucked in but when I was working there we were never told to check the car over. I guess that's where the MOT came in! Oh yea the car got cleaned inside & out too

That would be a basic service.

A full service would be the above (minus the MOT) plus pollen filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and replace wipers. Plus lubing of hinges and stuff. The car was also looked over fully, inspection of things like brakes and suspension, like an MOT but more indepth (remember the MOT is based on minimum standards, so a service check was to be above this standard) and then we would advise if futher work was needed. Also electrical systems were checked. Things like brakes pads/shoes, discs, tyres ect were not changed until the customer was advised and then charged extra for the parts. If bulbs and small sundry items needed doing we would change them anyway but always bill for additional parts on top.

Can't remember how much this service cost, it was quite some time ago now since I've worked in a garage about 10 years or so but it wasn't cheap!

A major service would be a full service plus coolant flush and change, brake fluid change. I'm sure there were other things involved but I can't quite remember now
I do remember the mechanics being told to advise on a cambelt and aux belts if the milage wasn't too far off, more money for the garage

As I was very young at the time I had the job of the basic services and also a helping hand for the MOT tester. Was good fun while I was there. Especialy sitting in all the lovely Alfa's They even let me drive some around the lot! Good times

I do my own servicing too, always have. So I have pretty much no idea how much serices cost and what you get for that cost these days. I've read some horror stories on here, especialy when it comes to pollen filters for some reason?

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

PSN: MEW1980
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)

Last edited by Mikey; 18th August 2009 at 10:42 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome