Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio II Immobiliser/Key/Central Locking

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Exclamation Clio II Immobiliser/Key/Central Locking

Good day,

I have a question surrounding the workings around the Clio II's immobilising system.

My Clio won't start all of a sudden, and according to the manual the flashing immobiliser light while the key in the ignition is turned, would mean a system or operation malfunction.

My problem is this: I call AutoXtra Renault in South Africa (who i don't think is Renault approved technicians, only sales and dealers, but they claim they are), and they tell me the only reasonable explanation would be that the key is screwed and i need to order a new key from France for almost two thousand bucks.

I have had problems in the past (it comes and goes), that my car, while driving on the road, for a split second "turns off" - i lose power steering, radio, etc. - and then quickly turns back on again. I suspect theres an electrical fault somewhere.

My questions are this:
1. Does the Clio II require the key of the car to get past the immobiliser? (in other words, do the key/ignition exchange an electronic "code") Is the key the reason i can't start my car, or is it the immobiliser IN my car?

2. If not, is it a immobiliser problem and how does one go about rectifying it? (here im specifically thinking about auto electricians)

3. Is it possible that this immobiliser malfunction could have been the reason of the prior problems i had with the car? (the car suddenly and quickly shutting off and turning on again while driving)

4. Any other relevant information or solutions?

I'm only asking because i don't know that much about cars, but when someone just tells me i should get a new key, while using the same key for the past 100 000km's without incident, i tend to look for a second opinion...

Currently in oupaxander's garage:
2003 1.2 Renault Clio 2 16V

Last edited by oupaxander; 18th August 2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: it may be the key?
  5 Lastest Threads by oupaxander
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Electronics - Strange incessant clapping sound -... Electronics 7 1711 14th May 2011 10:49 PM
Clio II Immobiliser/Key/Central Locking Electronics 11 3040 18th August 2009 11:06 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome