Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What Does The Word 'Service' Mean To You?

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2009
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
A local SEAT dealer to me has the usual banner strung across the fence of their premises. "Service from 99"

I spoke to one of their mechanics (he parks his car out side my house some days) and asked what did you get for yor money. Oil , oil filter and air filter plus top up under bonnet levels and look over he replied. Considering the garage charge 75 + VAT per hour labour you ain't gonna get much more than 45 minutes worth of work done at best he cringed and they make us cut every corner possible.
In over 40 years of working in or around the motor trade and seen many of the moves involved personally I have never seen what I think is a decent written service schedule yet - including those by manufacturers. When ever I see a car for sale saying it has a full dealer srvice history I always treat it with a large pinch of salt.
So I have created my own service check list and whilst not exhaustive it is at least the minimum I would carry out myself.

See attached pdf file - although titled !8,000 mile service it may be a good basis to start from,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 18, 000 mile service..pdf (25.5 KB, 20 views)
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome