Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VAG compliant

Thread: VAG compliant
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I'm not 100% certain but I've been looking into these sorts of cables for my Laguna and Volvos in the last few days and my understanding is that ECU flashing cable wouldn't help (or rather it might but the software that is with it is not aimed at normal diagnostics).

The VAG cable listed there uses the ELM327 chipset so the software will not be addressing the ECUs directly therefore this must be aimed at the latest VAG cars (Golf Mk5 etc. which I believe are CANbus), earlier VAG cars need a different version of VAG-COM or VDCD software which addresses the different control modules directly. I'm reasonably certain on that one as the VOL-FCR software uses the same type of cable to talk to my 1996 Volvo (I've just ordered one so I hope that is correct).

The other possibility with this cable is that it is just a normal ELM327 especially since VAG-COM is a VW/Audi specific software and AFAIK would not work with most of the makes of car listed on that page, to be honest it sounds very much like this company don't really know what they are on about.

What I would assume is you would get some functionality (switch off MIL, clear DTCs from the engine controller) with a normal ELM327 based adapter but as I understand it to anything beyond that you would need the CLIP software but I don't know if that would need a VAG type direct cable or an "interpreting" one like the ELM327 or for that matter it may need a genuine Renault one.
Currently in Datalead's garage:
Laguna DTi Estate, Volvo 850 TDi Automatic saloon, Volvo 850 2.5 GLT Estate
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome