Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace - Cooling fans

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 26th August 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
espace cooling

If its a MK3 (up to 2002) they have truly massive cooling systems, especially with air con. Mine is a 2002 2.2 diesel. It always used to run only 3 bars on the temp guage but now is climbing up to 4. I suspected something was wrong so let it idle on the path for 40 mins. Never showed any hotter on the gusge and fan only cut in if I turned on the air con (apparently the fans work all the time the air con is on). Took it to the dealer. They checked it - it was running at about 88 degrees c with 4 bars lit and they said it may actually cool down when left idling - so big is the cooling system and rads. They falsely input higher temps using their laptop and the fan cut in at 97 deg c. This would equate to about two thirds to three quarters of the bars lit up on the temp guage. mechanic told me they rarely cut in except under very hard motorway driving or pulling heavy load like a caravan. They do have two temp sensors though, so either one could be shot. Rather than over heat the thing, get a dealer to test it out before you do any damage
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome