Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Catalitic converter,is it law??

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th August 2009 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Catalitic converter,is it law??

Should you have a Catalytic converter post 1992,

OK i ask this question as i can't for the life of me find any info saying your car most by "LAW" have a Catalytic converter fitted to your car after the year of 1992 only that it must have it fitted on its mot for its emissions test,

We all know all cars after 1992 must have them fitted and require them for MOT for one purpose only to keep there emissions low,

Iam asking these questions as it is possible in some cars to remove the innards of the cat from the top and have it welded back up and still be able to pass on your emissions test,i know this as i have done it and most if not all Sportings on another forum i use have had this done and still pass there emissions test,

I do realise you could have your car MOT'ed with a working cat fitted then have it removed after mot to then be pulled over by the police for them to find out there is no cat fitted or its a dummy unit then have it tested by a government department to find out it sails through its emissions test again, would they just find the car unfit for road use because its not fitted or would they test it first?if thats the case and they test it and it passes, what could they do if its not "LAW"?,

Please prove me wrong and show me that it is indeed "LAW" because i for the life of me can't find anything saying it has to be kept on the car after its mot,

Cheers Donald
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.

Last edited by Donald; 29th August 2009 at 08:04 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Donald
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Have You Stopped Smoking General Chat johnboyw 55 4390 21st September 2013 09:21 AM
AVS Music Converter to MP3 Free Download Help Computer Club Donald 2 1984 10th March 2012 03:02 PM
Posting Problem Feedback & Announcements hondo 21 4423 31st December 2011 04:11 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome