Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Pre-Purchase Advice Needed

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 2nd September 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
The 1.9 is notorious for turbo failure, which has a tendency to take the engine with it if not handled right (got the T-shirt, as have a number of others on here.) Later 1.9 engines may also have a particle filter on the exhaust (known in French motoring circles as a FAP , or as a DPF by just about everyone else.) This can cause a lot of problems too, especially if you mainly do short runs. The 128 BHP that you refer to will be the dCi 130 (Renault prefer to quote PS rather than BHP) Most of these had the FAP .

The 2.0 is a much newer engine design, and so far doesn't seem to have been plagued by the reliability issues of the 1.9. In 150PS or lower forms, it doesn't need the FAP , though there are more highly tuned variants that do.

In all honesty, I wouldn't touch another 1.9 with a long stick. I'd be more than happy to give the 2.0 a whirl though. Unless there's a huge difference in price, it's a complete no-brainer.
Thanks Horatio, my journey to work is apx 3 miles and to be honest i don't use the car much other than travel to and from work. i have read some threads about the FAP particle filter, which is what originally brought me here. so taking this on board i think i'll go for the 2.0 if i decide to go with the Renault
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome