Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II- Airbag deployed

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 2nd September 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Glad to see I am not the only one having probs with the repair of my airbag system (altho would prefer not to be having to write/all was OK!)...

I live in Spain and have a LHD Clio II (1998).. which I bought second hand 2yrs ago. (Second hand cars are not cheap here - and I bought it from my 'trusted' mechanic of 6yrs -only to find there is now a major issue with the airbag system).. It would appear since day one the warning light never worked - (I have since been told by my new mechanic someone deliberately removed the bulb, plus the car has extensive repair work post crash- which would indicate why the system went off/needed attention originally!)...

I 'got away' with no warning light/not knowing the system was not working - as they never used to check it on the MOT. But, it seems the laws are getting stricter and it was picked up immediately this time round.

Poor car has now been in workshop, guts out for nearly 6 weeks. (Failure on the part of my mechanic to double check the part he 'definately ordered' was actually in the system.. I walked into the Renault dealer today and they had no record of same - so had to sort out on the spot!).

OK... back to my 'current situation'. (As now I trust no one!)... I read all the forum threads about loose connections (/reasons why the light was not working properly.. Before I knew about the bulb being removed!)... but this was not it. Mechanic then says I need a new ECU ... which is going to cost around 300? But when I was at the dealers and got a copy of the part order - sorry - it is in Spanish - and no one can translate it for me (unless some Spanish speaking members out there?)... he has ordered a 'Casetin air bag'... I do not know what this is, but it is not an ECU as far as I can work out...
The parts man said it was to 'moderate the air bag'...

I am confused, feel as though I am being shafted and soooo annoyed (like original poster) that a new system is probably going to cost more than the car is worth!

Any links to sites where I can learn how 'the airbag system in a Clio/renault works/is made up' would be appreciated

(Did find a site for that sells to the trade - but I don't really know what I am looking at

Thanks for reading all this - if you managed to!

ps - if anyone wants any hints and tips in return on ('film' photography then please PM!)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome