Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Warranty Period for Megane ECU

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 3rd September 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Warranty Period for Megane ECU

It's the old shape and I bought it from a Used Car Dealer in February this year.

The car started misfiring on my way home one night and after dropping my friend off she said she could smell burning from the back of the car. When I got the car I was told the warranty allowed me to take it to any garage so the next morning I took it to a local garage (not a Renault) . Their technician changed the plugs but it didn't cure the problem but they didn't want to do anything under the warranty. I drove home and called the garage where I'd bought the car and they told me to take it to them. They thought it could be injectors but after 4 days they rang to say it was the ECU and it wasn't covered under warranty. They want nearly 800 Euros in total so I want to ensure that they fit a genuine new part because I believe you can have your unit reconditioned and returned uncoded. I just want to ensure that if I'm paying for a new unit then that's what's fitted. As part of the price is to cover reprogramming then I wondered if you had to have your keys reprogrammed as well and would that then indicate that a new part was fitted. The garage have told me that the guarantee would be 12 months but a neighbour says Renault only give a 6 month guarantee so I'm really confused.
Thank you
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome